Dena Mara Kuhn
“My deepest influence and inspiration has always been solitary time in nature, and studies in spirit, much of it Buddhism. All of it, for which I am grateful.” -Dena
- Taught Calligraphy in Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
- Had a little boutique in Ashland, OR, where I designed & made the garments.
- Lived in London 3 months to study 14th thru 16th C. Books of Hours and Psalters (for the calligraphy & illumination) @ British Museum Library Manuscript Room
- Travelled to Greece to study Byzantine art.
- Worked in Athens as a designer (clothing & graphics) for a boutique on Syntagma Square. Lived on a boat on Piraeus Port during that time.
- Finished BFA @ Northern Arizona University & later taught a few classes there: Handlettering, Calligraphy & Graphic Design
- For 15 years had my art studio in a building at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, AZ with a consortium of 4 other artists in different disciplines.
- DierkerDesign Studio - 20+ years in Flagstaff: mostly print, identity & later, web; also some illustration.
- 5 years Graphic Design for Northern Arizona University.
- 2 years Designing a variety of publications for Grand Canyon Natural History Association.
- Principal Designer for AzureFire Design for a decade.
- Now living in Cambria with my love, Helmut. Always parallel creating. Many different modes. Travel: NYC, the SouthWest, CA, Europe - especially Vienna. Norway, Stockholm, Barcelona, Italy & France. Always with a focus on design. Next year: Japan.
About this work:
Symmetry of the Inner Eye; Reflected Color Works
See in this work what comes together in, and what makes sense to, your own psyche - as in a Rorschach test. Your particular, (or peculiar!) interpretation is the only one that matters. I disavow explanation of this work, except that to me it feels biological. Long after developing the technique, it still takes a bit to produce one I love. When I get a good one, I have a leap of exuberance. And aren’t we all simply yearning to be more conscious and enjoy the moment?
Trees: A favorite Live Oak on Fiscalini Ranch, Eucalyptus at sunset on San Simeon Ranch, & Blue Oaks in the hills East of Cambria, were each a meditation in the quality beloved trees have of drawing us into their embrace.
AHA Mandala on Apple TV
Motion mandalas created from my symmetry paintings.