Dena Mara Kuhn
“My deepest influence and inspiration has always been solitary time in nature, and studies in spirit, much of it Buddhism. All of it, for which I am grateful.” -Dena
- Taught Calligraphy in Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
- Had a little boutique in Ashland, OR, where I designed & made the garments.
- Lived in London 3 months to study 14th thru 16th C. Books of Hours and Psalters (for the calligraphy & illumination) @ British Museum Library Manuscript Room
- Travelled to Greece to study Byzantine art.
- Worked in Athens as a designer (clothing & graphics) for a boutique on Syntagma Square. Lived on a boat on Piraeus Port during that time.
- Finished BFA @ Northern Arizona University & later taught a few classes there: Handlettering, Calligraphy & Graphic Design
- For 15 years had my art studio in a building at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, AZ with a consortium of 4 other artists in different disciplines.
- DierkerDesign Studio - 20+ years in Flagstaff: mostly print, identity & later, web; also some illustration.
- 5 years Graphic Design for Northern Arizona University.
- 2 years Designing a variety of publications for Grand Canyon Natural History Association.
- Principal Designer for AzureFire Design for a decade.
- Now living in Cambria with my love, Helmut. Always parallel creating. Many different modes. Travel: NYC, the SouthWest, CA, Europe - especially Vienna. Norway, Stockholm, Barcelona, Italy & France. Always with a focus on design. Next year: Japan.
About this work:
Symmetry of the Inner Eye; Reflected Color Works
See in this work what comes together in, and what makes sense to, your own psyche - as in a Rorschach test. Your particular, (or peculiar!) interpretation is the only one that matters. I disavow explanation of this work, except that to me it feels biological. Long after developing the technique, it still takes a bit to produce one I love. When I get a good one, I have a leap of exuberance. And aren’t we all simply yearning to be more conscious and enjoy the moment?
Trees: A favorite Live Oak on Fiscalini Ranch, Eucalyptus at sunset on San Simeon Ranch, & Blue Oaks in the hills East of Cambria, were each a meditation in the quality beloved trees have of drawing us into their embrace.
AHA Mandala on Apple TV
Motion mandalas created from my symmetry paintings.
Augmented Reality Art
The Artwork comes to life on your Mobile Device.